Mental Health Tribunal LawyerApply for this vacancy >
Salary:£35000 - £50000 per annum
Posted:10th November 2020
Our client is primarily a legal aid firm specialising in family and mental health. They also carry out private client work and are financial deputies for clients who lack capacity.
The firm has been heavily involved in mental health work over the years and has recently undergone some restructuring within the mental health department and are keen to put time, energy and investment into the right people and into the department to increase its presence in this area.
They are at this stage ideally looking for someone who can cover mental health tribunal work. This need not be a solicitor so long as they are suitably qualified.
In order to carry out tribunal work the successful candidate would be required to be a member of the Law Society's Mental Health Accreditation Scheme.
The firm would look at providing training for the right person and supporting them to achieve the accreditation if this is needed (this is likely to be a route they will be going down longer term to expand the team anyway) but it would be preferable if possible to have someone who can slot straight in with the relevant experience and accreditation.
Candidates would need to have the following:
- A clear desire and passion to work within the area of mental health law
- Full clean driving licence and own transport
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as they will be dealing with vulnerable clients
- Self-motivated with an ability to work by themselves and as part of a team
- Flexible and able to adapt to different ways of working
- Have good IT skills
- A valid practising certificate (solicitor role)
Desirable would be:
- Member of either the Law Society's Mental Health Accreditation Scheme or Mental Capacity Scheme
- Minimum of 12 months experience running cases in the field of mental health
- Familiar with the Legal Aid Agency Contract requirements
- Salaries will be competitive depending on experience and qualifications.
- Training provided on ongoing basis
- Based out of the firm's Rainhill offices but with possibility to work remote
- All equipment (laptop, phone etc) provided
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply through the advert or contact Nick Tappin at Thornton Legal directly.